Saturday, September 27, 2008

Puddle stomping

Sometimes I have a run that absolutely reminds me why I have made running a part of my life. Yesterday was the best. It was raining a little when I left my house to run on the bike path that runs through the woods between villages.

Of course, as soon as I was half a mile or so down the path it began to pour...but no thunder or lightning..so I kept on running. There were some fairly deep puddles on the path and I accidentally ran through one. The first thought that came to my mind was that my mother would be horrified, because I was that kid that had to stomp in EVERY puddle all the way home from school. She used to get so annoyed with me! Then it dawned on me...I'm 52 now, but that doesn't mean I have to grow up...so I went out of my way to run through the puddles, letting the responsibilities that weigh me down so much of the time evaporate, just plain having fun!

If that weren't enough, I got the bonus of being outdoors and seeing 4 beautiful deer bound across the path less that 50 yards from me (and to think for years I was the world's greatest indoors-woman).

2 comments:

Shorey said...

It's weird these restrictions we place on ourselves for the sake of being a "responsible adult" - puddle stomping and the like are so much more fun (and liberating)!

Bibiana said...

I always feel like I'm going to get in trouble with my mom when I come in from a run in the rain. That's what makes it so fun!